Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It Was In The Palm Of My Hand


There was a place I used to go to years ago called Dubsdread Country Club. A duffer is a casual or mediocre player of a sport, especially golf. Back in the early 20s they were also referred to as dubbers. This wasn't a particularly easy course to play, so the dubbers dreaded the course, hence the name.

The 19th hole was a pretty popular hangout, not just for golfers, but for a lot of the local residents of Orlando, Winter Park and especially College Park. The restaurant had a well known reputation for throwing a great Halloween party. They had eerie decorations all over the place and dry ice to give the floor a foggy effect. It was downright dark and haunting.

One year, a palm reader set up a table in the large foyer at the main entrance. She was charging $5.oo per reading. I think she had the tarot thing going on, too. I walked up to her and asked her to read my palm. She said she would not take the money until after she was through. I sat down in the chair across from her and extended my left hand.

"I want to see your right hand," she said.

"What if I'm left handed?"

"OK, then, I want your left hand." She started to gaze into my palm. I could tell from her eyes staring down that she was heavily focused on what those lines were saying. All of a sudden, she gasped. "Oh my God!"

"WHAT? WHAT?"

"You have the most incredible Guardian Angel I have ever seen! I've never seen one as strong as this in my life!"

"Wow. That's pretty interesting. What else do you see?"

"You are going to live a long life. You are never going to win the lottery." I guess she meant I was never going to be rich. After paying, I thanked her very much and went about my business of mingling with friends and trying to guess who some of them were.

About 2 years later, a friend and his wife invited me to a party. She had a friend named Serena who was also there. My friend's wife, Jonelle, came up to introduce her to me. "Serena's a very good palm reader."

"She is? Serena, would you read my palm?" I asked.

"Sure I will."

I extended my left hand. "I want your right hand," she said.

"But I'm left handed."

"I want to see your left hand." I stretched it out to her. After careful examination, she got this look of shock on her face. "Oh, my God!"

"WHAT? WHAT?"

"You have the most powerful Guardian Angel I have ever seen. I have never, ever seen one this strong." Amazing, I thought.

"I heard the same thing before a couple of years ago. This is very interesting. What else do you see?"

"I see a long life ahead of you. You will never win the lottery." Now, all of this was somewhat strange. It was pretty much identical to what I was told earlier.

"Wow," I said to her. "I've heard this before. It was exactly the same reading." I was very skeptical after the first time my palm was read. I was a whole lot less after this one. I told everyone there of my past and present experiences with palm readers.

I still can't say for sure whether or not I believe in them, but, I'm what I guess would be considered middle age, I'm in good health, and I'm still not rich, not that I would ever expect to win the lottery anyway. Two out of three aren't bad. As far as the Guardian Angel? I don't know. I have been in a few very close scrapes in my life. Somehow, I managed to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment