Friday, January 12, 2007

A DIABETIC DIARY, Part Six



If you have followed my diabetes posts, you know I am now on 3 prescription medications:

GLIPIZIDE (Glucotrol) for diabetes

LISINOPRIL (Zestril, Prinivil) for blood pressure and, mainly, to protect my kidneys from disease

LOVASTATIN (Mevacor) to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

There are some rather interesting side effects associated with these drugs. If I forget what I'm writing or wander off somewhere, I might not remember why or when I did it. If I get cranky or START YELLING AT YOU, it means I now hate everyone and I want to run you off the road. To keep it simple, these drugs also have overlapping effects, but I will only list them once. Some, I have already experienced. I'm not going to tell you which ones, though, and if you ask, I might break into tears.

• Consipation or stomach pain
• Diarrhea (are these top two just so they can cover their butts?)
• Muscle pain and tenderness
• Weakness (duh... the diabetes made me feel that way)
• Severe fatigue
• Fever
• Yellowing eyes and urine
• Dark urine
• Persistent nausea
• Dizziness
• Headache
• Lightheadedness
• Dry cough
• Blurred vision (again, the disease has alredy caused that)
• Sore throat
• Fainting
• Decreased sexual ability (I don't want to talk about it)
• Rash, itching, swelling
• Trouble breathing
• Vomiting
• Loss of appetite (I wish)
• Easy bleeding or bruising
• Unusual or sudden weight gain (I wish)
• Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
• Confusion
• Mental/mood changes
• Chest pain
• Uneven heartbeats
• And, in very rare cases - suicide

In each case, there is a statement that says, "Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects." I'm trying to explore macrobiotic options. One of the most important thiNs abot tHs florBl gogN roofn jmpofflin gor




No comments:

Post a Comment